These Banana-Choco bites are my favorite snack, especially after a Holiday season of indulging!
I tinkered the recipe to be as low-calorie as possible but still full of taste. This recipe makes 42 mini-muffins, but you can also make regular sized muffins or a typical loaf. I do prefer the mini-muffins as they bake fast, freeze well and it gives me an ample supply of delectable treats, at a moment’s notice!
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2/3 cup sweetened coconut flakes
3/4 tsp lemon zest
1 1/4 mashed ripe bananas
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt;
- Blend applesauce, coconut flakes and lemon zest, then beat in the eggs and the mashed bananas;
- Add the flour mix in 3 parts, beat the mixture until smooth;
- Fold in chocolate chips;
- Scoop batter into greased or paper-lined mini muffin pans, place in a pre-heated oven at 180°C (350°F) and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Once removed from the oven, leave to stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto the serving platter and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from the 1975 edition of Joy of Cooking
For the print-friendly version of this recipe, please click here